Methods & Mechanics - Todd Sucherman - 2 Dvd
Todd Sucherman brings the knowledge of thousands of gigs, shows and recording sessions along with over three decades as a professional drummer to this useful and unique DVD
Astonishing technique, power and musicality explode from the various musical and solo performances throughout this presentation.
Working with artists over a myriad of genres diverse as Styx
, Brian Wilson
, Spinal Tap
, Eric Marienthal
, Peter Cetera
, John Wetton
, Steve Cole
and countless more, there's a wealth of knowledge imparted that goes way beyond just the technical aspects of drumming. Methods and Mechanics
is filled with practical career tips that will help you navigate through the music business as well as mental aspects and cerebral approaches to the art of playing music on the drums.
Filmed in 16X9 in High Definition at a stunning location this DVD features music from Styx
, Taylor Mills
and Jerry Goodman
and contains various solos and playing examples in an array of styles as well as technical lessons to enhance your rhythmic and musical vocabulary.
Methods and Mechanics includes:
- Grip and stroke analysis with many rudiments and hybrid rudiment exercises on a practice pad with slow motion examples Orchestration of hybrid rudiments and stickings for musical application on the drum set
- In depth analysis of hi hat techniques and how they effect groove and feel
- Emphasis on mastering a simple vocabulary before moving on to more complex concepts
- Thoughts on practice and patience
- 8 performance songs with full analysis--some with "play by play" voice over
- Full double bass drum vocabulary for unique use in grooves and fills
- Odd time break down of more complex time signatures
- Musical notation and downloadable PDFs
- Jazz kit performances and tips for swing time and brushes
- Tips for music business career navigation, as well as tips for recording sessions, shaping songs with dynamics, paying attention to lyrics, traveling on the road, keeping things fresh, thoughts on gear, gear maintenance,
- Building a drum room, and loads of extras that include A Day On The Road, Drum Room Tour, Thoughts on working with Styx, Brian Wilson and Taylor Mills, personal history, tribute fills, an extensive photo gallery, and even a blooper reel.
Methods and Mechanics is a stunning achievement that reminds us the music comes first and that the arts are one of life's greatest joys. Entertaining as well as educational, music and truth flow through this epic presentation from one of the greatest drummers of our time.